There is growing discussion about Application Portfolio Management but there aren’t many supporting tools. In order to effectively manage Application Portfolios, the following information should be tracked.
– Profile information about each application including purpose, business owner, support team, technology, interfaces, etc.
– Supported business processes and business benefits
– Schedule information
– Component inventory and relationships
– Financial information (Cost to develop/enhance, cost to support, cost to operate)
– Business priority and disaster recovery priority
– Security/confidentiality and types of data
– Long-term strategy and justification (operate, repair, replace, retire)
– Maintenance requirements (e.g. table maintenance)
– Library locations